How Does Experian Scan The Dark Web?
The simple answer – they don’t.
There is much more to the Internet than what we use daily through search engines, email, social media etc.. This is called the Surface Web.
As recently as 2015, Eric Schmidt, former Google CEO, estimated that the Google search engine indexes 4% of all web pages of the internet. The other 96% is what is known as the Deep Web.
So, what is the Deep Web?
The Deep Web is all the remaining web sites and pages that are not indexed by standard search engines for any reason. Most of these web sites are legitimate businesses and organizations like Netbanking, Private Forums, Private Networks, Medical Records and the Hidden Wiki.
The illustration above shows the part of the Deep Web known as the Dark Web. The Dark Web requires a specialized browser named TOR to reach.
This is the place where most of the hidden illegal activity occurs:
- stolen credit card numbers for sale
- drug trafficking
- certain types of pornography
So, how can Experian index and scan 24 more times the amount of web data than Google looking for your personal data? Simple answer, they can’t.
How do I know if my information is on the Dark Web?
Simple answer, it’s impossible.
The better question is: How do I protect my personal and business confidential data and keep it off the Dark Web?
Begin using these 5 simple steps starting now:
- Use complex passwords.
A complex password is at least 10 characters long and contains a combination of capital letters, numbers and special characters (@#$!*). Do not use common words that are easy to guess.
- Purchase antivirus software for ALL your devices that access the internet.
The free versions of antivirus software usually don’t come with other features necessary for full protection like automatic updates and built-in firewalls.
- Protect your Personally Identifiable Information and Protected Health Information (PII and PHI) always.
(Social Security Number, Driver’s License Number, Medical Records and Lab results etc.)
- Limit the amount of ANY information about yourself you put online.
Everyone is collecting data online. Every web site wants you to “sign up” for an account. And every “sign up” creates another opportunity for criminals to violate your privacy and compromise your identity.
- Think “security” every time you use your online devices including your mobile phone, tablet, health tracker or anything else that might be collecting any data about you or your lifestyle.
Saaby Consulting helps businesses and people build and maintain a safe and secure data posture. Contact us to learn more about staying safe online and to build your business and personal information security plan.